Friday, February 5, 2010

Why a Tumbleweed?


According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, tumbleweed is a plant (either a Russian thistle or any of several types of amaranths) that will break away from its roots in the autumn and is then driven about by the wind as a light rolling mass.


I am oddly connected to the notion of tumbleweeds and have been since childhood. I consider myself to be a bit of a tumbleweed. When I drove out to Reno several years ago, I found my first tumbleweeds in Nebraska. I was so excited that I immediately called my mother and told her I had found tumbleweeds and even (gasp) ran one over. She was regretful to inform me that the rest of the world is not quite as fascinated with tumbleweeds as I am. In his song, “It Just Comes Natural,” George Strait sings about the tumbleweeds blowing. I always knew I liked him, even if I am not a country music fan.

1 comment:

  1. Osage says he loves tumbleweeds, too... for him, this probably has something to do with having moved five times in seven years.

    I just know that "roll and go" was safer than trying to brace against a fall while ski racing.

    ReplyDelete