Thursday, February 4, 2010

Don't Swim Alone

Do you remember when we were kids and everyone always told you not to swim alone?

What about riding alone? I ride alone all the time. Secret is stabled at my friend's barn because they have an indoor arena. It is a small boarding facility and I often arrive, ride and leave without ever seeing another person. Is this really safe? I will hop on Killarney and trail ride him all over the dairy farm without telling anyone where I am going (I generally make the route up as I go along).

Sure, I wear a helmet. And yes, my cell phone is in my pocket (usually) but what if something happened? It might be awhile before someone discovered me or my horse.

But I hopped on Secret and started riding anyway. I think she read my mind.

Cowgirl up!

It was windy today and Secret used that as an excuse to let everything freak her out. She saw an eight ounce bird (probably the same bird who pooped on her blanket in her stall) and jumped three feet into the air and six feet off to the side. It might have been funny if we had not worked on these same fear issues a couple of weeks ago. And so I rode until she was comfortable in the indoor again.

By the time she was comfortable it was almost time for me to head back to the dairy farm. I decided to walk her around the fields to cool her out and for the first time ever opened the door to the indoor while mounted. Secret stood stock still while I slid the door open. The door squeaked and groaned and she still stood stock still. And then I was certain that all of the antics we had just been through were an act, she just did not want to work.

It did make me think about riding alone a bit more though. I will continue to ride alone but maybe I will take a few more precautions. What are your thoughts on riding alone? Do any of you still go out on your own?

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog Stacey! So cool to keep up with you and your riding adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who has ridden alone more than not, I have to say this: YOU know the times when someone ought to know what you're up to, so just make certain your emergency dismount skills are sharp. Most of the time, even with an old hand horse who might just need to jump sideways, they get really disturbed if you go off... "This is just wrong, what are you doing down there? Would you please get back up where you belong!" And, for my bet, if you are not only hearing but acting on the messages your horses send to you (such as, 'I'd enjoy a class that assessed my capacity to eat green grass') then you are golden. These horses would be silly to behave any way other than respectfully and with the good grace to not dump you. So, wear that helmet, it sets a good example for the kids and makes your mom happy, and take the cell phone if you can remember (though, honestly, riding and talking on a cell phone takes a certain acrobatic capacity, too, probably more dangerous than driving you car and talking at the same time, but that's another subject) and trust your instincts. And while you're at it, take that Killarney out for a long ride for me, please... just thinking of him, and you, makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete