Monday, February 15, 2010

A Quiet Moment

I think we are all in search of balance in some form or another. Society dictates that we are all much busier than we should be. But everyone always talks about finding balance in our lives as well.

I am starting to believe that balance is elusive, at least in my life. I am sure a lot of you feel the same way. I have found moments though, when balance is not so elusive.

When the world gets crazy and hectic, I retreat to the barn. One of my horses is at a friend's barn and I have found the quiet moments over this winter when I go to the barn to take care of Secret have been the moments when I find balance. Secret is the only horse at that barn that I have to worry about. Sure, I say hello to the other horses, but that is where my commitment ends. From there on out, my time at the barn is spent focusing on Secret.

One of the best things about horses is that they accept you for who you are. The other day I walked into the barn nearly in tears. Secret did not mind, she did not ask any questions or try to fix it for me, she let me live in that emotion. By the time I finished grooming her and letting her play in the indoor, I was much better and she was happy.

I cannot explain why, but I know that going to the barn makes me a better person and helps me find those elusive moments of balance in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment