Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Groundhog Day

Do you pay any attention to Groundhog day? Yesterday was groundhog day. I only know that because of the guy on the radio. I do not know if it is better for the groundhog to see his shadow or not to see his shadow. All I know is that the groundhog is supposed to predict how much more winter we will get and he is usually wrong.

In North Carolina they bring out a pot bellied pig and she predicts how much more winter they will have. She said winter will be over sooner rather than later. North Carolina is getting another snow storm this weekend.

I have my own version of groundhog day. I call it "Loose Cow Day." It is a different day every year - whatever day of the new year the first cow gets loose. This year it happened on February 1st. My theory is that if the cow makes us work hard to catch her - spring will be here soon. If she runs right back into the barn we are in for more winter.

The cow that got loose on February 1st was a runner. Five of us took off in separate directions trying to block gaps and keep her near the barn and after quite a bit of running on our part, we finally caught her. My theory is that spring is on its way. Like any self respecting groundhog, I am probably wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment